Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Week 2 - I'm not very creative with subject lines

This week has flown by.  I think I am starting to really experience the MTC time warp (days feel like weeks and weeks feel like days).  I think a lot of this is due to the fact that I am growing and learning more in the past two weeks that the entire year before the MTC.  This gospel is amazing and I cna now understand how it is people gain about 10 years' experience in a two-year mission.  I can also understand why there are so many typos and run-on sentences in missionary letters: becuase there is so little time to write that it isn't worth it to fix all the typos haha :)
(you know, in addition to being so immersed in a different language)
I am doing so well. I am learning how to be humble enough to know in my heart that my best is good enough, and to make sure I don't set expectations for myself that are higher than God's expectations for me, and all He expects from me is for me to do my best.
I think I have figured out how to manage my thoughts so I don't get homesick... yay!  But it's kind of tricky right now, still, because of the WEDDING TOMORROW. :)  But I am doing well at not dwelling on it, and I am figuring out how to focus on one day, one moment at a time.
Sister Nasau, Sister Z, Elder Pauli and Elder Freestone 
Sister Nasau and I have been working really well together.  It has been such a blessing!  She is still figuring out how to open her mouth and share the things the Lrod prompts her to say, and I am working on having the faith to be quiet when the Spirit tells me to, but we have come a long way.  We are consistently able to bring the Spirit into the lessons we teach, and we are becoming a lot more unified and receptive to the Spirit every day.  I love her so much.  Our companionship isn't perfect, but whenever problems even start to arise, we have become very good at addressing them right away.
I know so much Portuguese!  I truly am seeing the gift of tongues here.  I'm not fluent by any means, but when I think of where I was when I came into the MTC, and even where I was a week sago, I know that I am learning a ton in a short amount of time.  We watched the Cape Verde video that dad loves yesterday, and I picked up on at least half the words they said!!!  It was a true tender mercy. That's how much I feel my testimiony has been growing too, along with my ability and faith to trust in the Lord.
I sang in the choir Tuesday night, and we are going to sing again tonight.  I'm so excited. :)  Brother Eggett is AWESOME!  IHe is so funny, but such an effective teacher, talented storyteller, and his testimony is so powerful.  He has a gift at making the songs so meaningful.
The devotional Tuesday night really reminded me that it is imperative to know who you are and to truly love those around you before you can effectively help people come to Christ.  I've been working hard at that.  Sorry, I guess I didn't write down the speaker's name in my journal, but it was a great talk.
Also, Sister Nasau got her patriarchal blessing this week and it was an awesome experience for both of us!  It has helped her so much, and I was able to hear the importance and power of patriarchal blessings again, after five years. :)
Sister Nasau, Sister Z and Pres. Jackson (Bob Jackson's twin brother)
Also, we watched Edler Holland's talk from Thanksgiving 2012 this Sunday night.  I admire Sister Holland so much, and I hope to have a testimony like hers some day.  They both really drove it home to me that the BOM is something that should be cherished and it has the power to do SO MUCH for those who read it and learn to cherish every word in it.  Elder Holland said we are helping God do His work.  All He does is work to save souls.  His talk reminded me that I am here to learn how to save souls and it reminded me how beautiful and precious each of His children are.  I just really wanted to go to Cape Verde after that talk!  It was wonderful.

OH! Also, Sister Nasau is EXACTLY two years older than me!  How awesome is that?!
Oh yeah, and the devotional tonight is going to be a broadcast  and according to Bro. Eggett, an especialyl important broadcast.  Broadcasts = apostles (quorum of 12), so I don't know what an "especially important broadcast" will mean, but I guess I will find out.  I love you all!

Love, 
Sister Zimbelman

No comments:

Post a Comment