Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Week 6 Going, going... HERE!


Monday July 7, 2014

Sorry, this is completely unexpected, I know.  But they told us that today is basically P-day, and I specifically asked about email and got the OK... so I will email one last time na CTM! :)
Haha, I think I jinxed us when I told you all that the exciting things happen Wednesday - Saturday... because Sister Nasau got another migraine suddenly on Wednesday morning, right after class started.  SO, two MRIs (with an IV each time), one more blood sample, and at least one more shot ( I can't remember anymore, haha), one trip to a neurologist, one change in prescription (no more flexeril but now she has amitryptiline.. which I can't really spell), and one Physical Therapy appointment later, she is NOT coming with us to Cabo Verde tomorrow.  They found she has a 5 mm microadenoma in her pituitary gland, but they aren't sure if it's causing her headaches because it's so small.  The second blood test is to see if her hormones are all normal, because if not it means her pituitary gland isn't functioning properly.  Also, she got her glasses on Saturday, and it has made SUCH a difference for her headaches!  She still has had other symptoms like nausea, lightheadedness, and weakness, though, so there may be something else going on.
It seems like now the doctor is sending her to an endocrinologist who can figure out what needs to be done about the microadenoma, or how he can shrink it if he needs to. The Physical Therapy is to help her neck and upper back, because when she was 12 she fell backward down a few stairs and landed on the back of her head, right above her neck... and that's when she started to get migraines.  Hopefully they can get it figured out quickly!  We don't know how much longer she will be in the MTC, but another sister is staying back as well because of some health concerns, so they will be companions.  And she gets to stay with my teachers! (lucky... :) )
I am doing really well.  I am working on managing my time better, but I have learned and grown so much through all this.  I think I am learning to see everything through an eye of faith and to stop fear from entering my heart.  None of this is really phasing me anymore.  I am still concerned, but I can feel the Lord lightening my burdens and I can feel "[His] angels round about [me], to bear [me] up" more and more each day.  I have seen miracles here.  Most of them seem small, but they are all miracles.  And especially in this last week, I have seen the power the Atonement has to change people.  It has truly happened to one sister who was especially struggling to rely on Him.  Then she started to turn to Him more, and it has been an incredible miracle.  He truly can change our very natures and make us into more than we could ever be on our own.  I have often seen that in my own life, especially in the MTC, but this weekend I saw the effects of the Atonement in the life of another person more clearly than I had ever seen it before. I am even more excited to go now!
I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have been to class in the past two weeks, which has been really hard. I really loved class, even though it was HARD! I have never been so grateful or felt like I have to put so much faith and trust on the Lord and rely on Him for so much.  I have hardly spoken Portuguese with people in the last two weeks, because I have hardly been around people.  But I know the gift of tongues is real, and I know that it is the Lord's will that I didn't get much language training these past two weeks.  I studied it on my own (or tried to... studying in the residence hall for hours on end foi muito DIFÍCIL!), but it's not the same.  But, I am just focusing on how grateful I am for this opportunity to rely on the Lord more and to see His hand in my life as I learn a ton of Portuguese in the Field.
I love this Gospel so much.  I know I am incredibly inadequate, and more inadequate than I expected to be in Portuguese by this point, but I just don't really care.  I can bear a testimony, and I have learned SO MUCH about the language of the Spirit, about "faith, hope, charity and love with an eye single to the glory of God"! Woah... I didn't even really mean to quote that scripture... haha :) But it's true.  My faith has grown so much; I have learned to look for the tender mercies of the Lord even when it seems like nothing is going my way; I have developed so much charity and compassion for those around me and those whom I interact with; I feel so much love in my heart for those I have been blessed to interact with; and wow, I have really learned to watch my thoughts and focus on the Lord and on His work, to really take it one day at a time and take baby steps, just like Irmão Duerden told me a few weeks ago.  But wow, the Lord loves us SO MUCH.  Each of us.  That is why I don't even care that I am so inadequate.  Because I am also companions with Him.  This is His work, and He will help me and bless me and make me into who He needs me to be.  I can feel a tiny portion of God's love for His children, but it just overflows my heart.  That's why I am so excited to go into the mission field.  The MTC has come to feel like a temple and like home, but I will leave it in a heartbeat so that I can share God's love for His children, especially with the people of Cabo Verde.
I will miss my teachers, my zone, my branch presidency, and my district (and I will miss running into the many friends I made here/knew before the MTC), but I am so excited to go and do the Lord's work and to serve the people of Cabo Verde.  I can't wait to share this light, joy, and LOVE with those people, and to invite them to come to Christ.  Wow, this is almost bordering on gushing, or it almost seems over-enthusiastic... but that is all I can think about right now! :)
I love you all, SO much! I don't know if we could work out the call so that I could talk to all of you, but I have a calling card and I will probably call right around 1 pm UT time. Wow, this feels so surreal! Love you all!!!
Love,
Sister Zimbelman... who will soon be in CABO VERDE! (or on the way there, at least) :)

Wed July 9, 2012
Well, I am alive and well! These past two days feel like one day, but I am doing well. This morning I spent some time with a pair of sister missionaries, neither of whom really speak English. It was a bit overwhelming, but I think that is also just because everything is so new.  The people here are so great, and I have had a lot of fun already! We taught a less active sister, and I could follow what they were saying, for the most part, and contribute to the lesson about prayer and the importance of reading the Book of Mormon.  It is beautiful here, in its own way, and I will shortly be hearing where I will get to start out.  Love you all! It was so fun to talk to you all yesterday!
Love,
Sister Zimbelman

No comments:

Post a Comment