Monday, July 14, 2014

Week 7 - First full week in Cabo Verde

Well, I survived my first week in Cabo Verde! haha :)
Life is good.  I am doing well. I have helped teach a lot now, and I have really enjoyed it! It is really hard, though.  I am doing a pretty good job of focusing on one teaching appointment, one moment throughout the day, at a time.

I am in Sal, in a town called Espargos, and my trainer is Sister Garcia.  I already love her a ton, and I think we are going to be really good companions. I understand a lot of what people say here, and I am starting to wonder how much of what I don't understand is because it is Creole, not Portuguese.  It seems like EVERYONE speaks at least a little bit of Creole with their Portuguese.  I still have a lot to learn, but I can communicate pretty well.  I understand a lot more than I can speak.

I have just been trying to try to kind of soak up the culture. I tried not to come in with any expectations, and it helped a lot, I think. The people here... it's pretty crazy.  They don't have debt here, so people build their houses one step at a time: you will see one level/room that has colored cement over the cement bricks, then half a level of cement bricks above that.  But, inside the house they will have tile, a bed, some chairs... pretty nicely furnished inside.  Everyone has a cell phone and a TV.

Sal is the tourist island. It is where everyone in Europe goes/stays when they go to Cabo Verde.  Santa Maria is the tourist city, but I think Espargos is still fairly nice for Cabo Verde.  It doesn't smell bad here like it did in Praia, which is good :)

Friday we had a wedding, and Saturday they got baptized! It was pretty exciting.  But apparently the work isn't typically like that in Sal. And a lot of Cabo Verdians will commit to do something, like going to church, but then by the time Sunday comes they won't answer the door when we come around.  There are 150 people on the records of the church for the branch we work with, but only about 1/2  of them show up to church consistently. But, on Sunday there were 102, and six of our investigators were there! There are two branches in Sal, but a big concern here is less actives. It is hard to get people to be truly converted to the Gospel.


I already love the people here. Even when I can't understand their Creole very well, I have really been blessed to be able to see them as the children of God that they are. It's so fun to teach the Gospel and to feel the Spirit.  And I love it: when I smile at people, genuinely smile at them, they will often give me a beautiful smile back.  These people already have my heart, but it sure makes it hurt when they decide to reject the truths and light we have to share with them. I haven't had much experience with that yet, because everyone is so sweet. It's the long-term commitment that is the biggest challenge here, I think. Well, I am doing well. I love it here. I can't think about how long I will be here, or really anything long-term, because then I start to feel overwhelmed. So I am taking it one day, one moment at a time, trying to do my best, and moving forward with baby steps.

Pres. and Sister Mathews are just awesome. I really feel like they are my parents! They are going to take such good care of the missionaries here, don't worry.

One of the rules here is DON'T EAT the food, unless you have bought it. This is a really hard rule, because all the members want to be hospitable whenever missionaries come over, but they really can't afford it. It's hard, though, because all the missionaries I have talked to eat the food.  They told me that if I eat it I will get sick, possibly get a parasite, but after that I can eat whatever I want here. This puts me in a really difficult situation, because I don't want to offend anyone by not eating their food (and people take offense pretty easily here... that's why a lot of people are less active), but Pres. and Sis. Mathews told us not to, and even if the other missionaries do it and call it a "strong suggestion", I feel like it is just as much a rule as the other rules. I really want to be exactly obedient, because I can't stand it when I lose the Spirit, even for a moment... especially because the Spirit is the true teacher when you're on a mission. So I think I am going to need to learn how to say "no" nicely. That has been the hardest thing this week, I think: learning the rules and culture of the mission and the people and trying to be exactly obedient, not just almost-exactly obedient.


I am really learning how to have patience, too! Mostly patience with myself. We share a residence with another dupla (pair of missionaries), and one of them is Cabo Verdiana and the other one has been out for almost exactly a year longer than I have. Sister Garcia has been out for almost nine months, so everyone is really good at speaking/understanding Portuguese, and it is really easy to try to compare myself with them or I often find myself wishing my portuguese was a good as theirs. But, I know the gift of tongues is a real thing, and I have been receiving it. I can always follow what Sister Garcia is teaching, and often how the pesquisador responds, so when she turns to me I can always contribute at least a little bit. It is really hard, but I love it, and when I am with people and talking to them, I can forget about myself, my portuguese, and try to figure out what the Spirit wants me to share.
Oh, and we have running water, but there is a filter on the kitchen tap. We have two showers: one with a bucket and one with the type of spout that is connected to a hose and you have to hold over your head/hook on the wall. there are no shower curtains, and in order to use the toilet we have to turn the water on to the toilet, let it run for a few minutes, then it will work. So, it's not as rural as I expected. :)
It is more humid here than Utah, but less than Boston was. Also, rainy season starts this month! :) We aren't by the beach, so it feels like we are in Nevada or Mexico... somewhere rural very brown... plus a little humidity.
Oh, and to date, I have five mosquito bites on one foot! that's been pretty exciting to see, and I have started spraying myself with bug spray like crazy. The mosquito bites do this weird thing where the skin around the mosquito bite gets a darkish pink color, but Sister Garcia says that's totally normal and nothing will happen unless you scratch it. :) So yeah, it's been pretty different. Honestly, I'm not sure how I'm not super shell-shocked, how I can just take all thins in stride and already love the people and teach/testify a bit. The Lord is definitely helping me, and focusing on one day, one moment at a time has helped a TON.

It is so amazing to share this Gospel with real people, not just our teachers pretending to be someone they taught. They love so much, and it is amazing to see the light of the Gospel in their eyes. People always say "sister" when we pass, and everyone greets each other simply when they pass each other on the street. The branch is so awesome. I love it here.

Oh, and I feel overdressed here. There were so many people wearing jeans at church, because they don't own any other pants. I think if I even had one more thing, like my glasses, I would feel SUPER overdressed. In a place where many people don't read, I have gotten the sense that it is a sign that you are well-off if you own glasses. These people are so humble, but so loving and warm! I love it.

Sister Garcia is awesome! She is from North Carolina, and she is super friendly, funny and she puts her heart into this work. I feel like we are good friends already, and I can see how she gives her all to serve and love these people.  It is so great. Also, she is really good at getting to know people, which is exactly what I need to work on... I wasn't super good at it in English, either, so I am excited to learn that from her. :)

So, all in all, I am doing well! I love you all, and I will tell you about some of our investigators/recent converts later, when there isn't so much NEW stuff. :) Love you all!

Love,
Sister Zimbelman

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you! Your are an amazing missionary woman! Much love, support and prayers from Me and Tom!

    ReplyDelete